Alexander Safronov received his undergraduate degree from Moscow State University of Fine Chemical Technology in 1998 and his PhD from Nesmeyanov Institute of Organoelement Compounds (INEOS RAS) in 2005. After completing his PhD he gained industrial experience in drug discovery and combinatorial chemistry at Chembridge Corporation, Moscow. In 2006 he joined I²NM² as a postdoctoral researcher and in 2008 he was appointed a Research Assistant Professor at the Institute. His research is in chemistry and biological and material applications of polyhedral boron clusters. He is particularly interested in development of new synthetic ways to substituted boranes, carboranes and metallacarboranes.
Alexander V. Safronov
Carborane-based Low-Dimensional Nanomaterials; Molecular Motors; Chemical Hydrogen Storage
The main research interest of our group is focused on synthesis and characterization of carborane-based low dimensional-materials such as rods and wires. A lot of work is concentrated on developing the conception of carborane-based molecular motors and their application in nano-materials. We are also carrying out research on application of polyhedral borane anions as hydrogen source for hydrogen-powered vehicles.
B.S., 1998; M.S., 2000, M. V. Lomonosov State Academy of Fine Chemical Technology (Moscow, Russia)
Ph.D., 2005, A. N. Nesmeyanov Institute of Organoelement Compounds of Russian Academy of Sciences (Moscow, Russia)
Bayer Scholarship 2002
- K. Z. Kabytaev, T. A. Everett, A. V. Safronov, Y. V. Sevryugina, S. S. Jalisatgi, M. F. Hawthorne, “B-Mercaptocarboranes: A New Synthetic Route”, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2013, DOI:10.1002/ejic.201201518.
- A. V. Safronov, Y. V. Sevryugina, S. S. Jalisatgi, R. D. Kennedy, C. L. Barnes, M. F. Hawthorne “An Unfairly Forgotten Member of the Iodocarborane Family: Synthesis and Structural Characterization of 8-Iodo-1,2-dicarba-closo-dodecaborane, Its Precursors and Derivatives”, Inorg. Chem. 2012,51, 2629.
- A. V. Safronov, N. I. Shlyakhtina, M. F. Hawthorne “A New Approach to the Synthesis of 3-Alkyl-1,2-dicarba-closo-dodecaboranes: Reaction of Alkyldichloroboranes with Thallium Dicarbollide”,Organometallics, 2012, 31, 2764.
- A. V. Safronov, M. F. Hawthorne, “Novel synthesis of 3-iodo-ortho-carborane”, Inorg. Chim. Acta, 2011,375, 308.
- A. V. Safronov, S. S. Jalisatgi, H. B. Lee, M. F. Hawthorne “Chemical Hydrogen Storage Using Polynuclear Borane Anion Salts”, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 2011, 36, 234.
- M. W. Lee, Jr., A. V. Safronov, S.S. Jalisatgi, M. F. Hawthorne “Cesium Dodecahydroxy-closo-Dodecaborate, Cs2[B12(OH)12]”, Inorganic Syntheses, v. 35, p. 63 (2010).
- L. S. Alekseev, A. V. Safronov, F. M. Dolgushin, A. A. Korlyukov, I. A. Godovikov, I. T. Chizhevsky ″An unexpected cluster opening upon the formation of electronically unsaturated η3-(cyclooctenyl)metallacarboranes of rhodium(III) and iridium(III) with sterically reduced [(PhCH2)2C2B9H9]2− ligand″, J. Organomet. Chem.2009, 694, 1727.
- “Low-Temperature “1,2 → 1,7” Isomerization of Sterically Crowded Icosahedral closo- ( (2,3,8-η3): (5,6-η2)-Norbornadien-2-yl)rhodacarborane via the Formation of a Pseudocloso Intermediate. Molecular Structures of [3,3- ( (2,3,8-η3): (5,6-η2)-C7H7CH2)-1,2- (4’-MeC6H4)2-3,1,2-pseudocloso-RhC2B9H9] and 1,2 → 1,7 Isomerized Products”, Alexander V. Safronov, Fedor M. Dolgushin, Pavel V. Petrovskii, and Igor T. Chizhevsky, Organometallics 2005, 24, 2964-2970.
- “Stable Agostic (C-H…M) closo-Irida- and closo-Rhodacarboranes with σ,η2-Cyclooctenyl Ligands. Crystal and Molecular Structure of closo-3,3- (σ,η2-C8H13)-1,2-μ- (ortho-xylylene)-3,1,2-IrC2B9H9”, Alexander V. Safronov, Tatiana V. Zinevich, Fedor M. Dolgushin, Oleg L. Tok, Evgenii V. Vorontsov, and Igor T. Chizhevsky, Organometallics 2004, 23, 4970-4979.
- “First agostic closo-metallacarboranes with η3-cyclooctenyl type ligand: synthesis and structural characterization of closo-3-[η3- (endo-1,5-dimethylcycloocten-1-yl)]-1,2-μ- (1’,2’-xylylene)-3,1,2-IrC2B9H9 and its isomerization to closo-3- [η3- (exo-1-methylene-5-methylcyclooctene-1-yl)]-1,2-μ- [η2- (1’,2’-xylylene)]-3,1,2-IrC2B9H9”, Alexander V. Safronov, Tatiana V. Zinevich, Fedor M. Dolgushin, Evgenii V. Vorontsov, Oleg L. Tok, Igor T. Chizhevsky, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 2003, 680.